Sunday, August 4, 2013

A good start........

Such a lot can change in a week. 
A bit of sunshine midweek, a bit/lots of chocolate (cupcakes, pearls, wafers), a bit of encouragement from friends, a bit of perseverance, and ignoring dishes, laundry and housework in general, I got the warp onto the loom.



There is something calming and beautiful about a warp on the loom, even when it not quite ready. This morning, I was quite determined to get some weaving started, but I did not have a long enough rod for the front beam. This is the widest I have woven on the table loom, almost the full width. None of the hardware stores nearby were open on a Sunday. Luckily, a good friend has some spare timber dowels and he helped me cut one to length with a barter of some chocolate/plum jam cupcakes from the freezer. It was a good trade. 

I got started. The spacing of the weft pattern and the balance of the cloth is working well in the first 5cm of the piece, at least to how I had envisage the piece. It is a good sign.

7 comments:

heather said...

lovely warp :) i have an old broom handle that i repurposed for my tie on rod when the last one was not working. after all, if i was weaving i wasnt sweeping ;)

neki desu said...

YAY!!!!

Meg said...

Goodness, Sampling, this looks to be a fabulous warp! Hurry, don't sleep. I want to see what happens!

Claire said...

This is turning out beautifully :-D

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful, thank you for this wonderful post!

Ananasa.com- Home For Handmade

Carla said...

Can't wait to see more...

Kate said...

oh my gosh, how gorgeous!!
and you won my book giveaway.
yay!!
email me your addy and i'll send it to you next week.
happy weekend.
xx