Sunday, July 10, 2011

Where did this come from?

I have packed away my knitting machine for the moment and am back on track with the task on hand. 


Somehow, this image has inspired the following weave but I am not quite sure how. 
I just started weaving. I have had the cones of yarn out for a few weeks now, just sitting there waiting for me to be ready. I am trying to use stash yarn only for this project. Somehow, I have been diverted from the original idea of woven shibori but I am happy with this so far.
As I was weaving this, I could not help thinking that the curious weaver will be frowning. Kaz is brilliant with colours and KaTe (the 8 shaft countermarche loom) has white warp with white weft on at the moment and now Chibi (the 2 shaft Saori loom) has black warp with black wefts.



The warp is the black cotton warp that came pre-wound on the loom. There is about 4 meters left on the back beam. The wefts are Colourmart lace-weight cashmere and Avril silk stainless steel yarn.
The funny thing is that you can't even see very easily how the pattern is developing without the contrast white paper underneath. I have only placed that there so that the photo would work!
I am just going to weave a scarf length sample, probably about 2 meters as I think that it will be an interesting piece in its own right. 
The plan is that when this come off the loom, I will wet finish it in hot water to wash off the oils on the cashmere and hopefully, it will full a bit and the silk SS will crinkle up.
I am already thinking about a second full sample and that it may have a bit more colour?
Come to think of it, my last P2P project had the silk SS yarn in it too!

3 comments:

Meg said...

Goodness me, you're way ahead of me. Don't you just love the "I don't know where I'm going but I'm going ahead" state??

sampling said...

It is a wonderful state to be in! (maybe it is the hibernating syndrome of a cold dark rainy winter day) and it helps when you don't have to think about the warp. :)

Jules said...

The lines certainly echo the contours in the photo... the twigs, the birds profile and the shadows. I love it. Look forward to seeing how it responds to blocking and movement!

xx