Monday, July 7, 2008


First of all, thank you for those who have encouraged me to create this blog, and please be patient with me while I get the hang of this.



I have wanted to do this weave since last year. It is based on an article in the Handwoven magazine, issue 132. After various samples. This is the result.



There were some technical difficulties that were not anticipated, and did not become apparent during sampling. The different take up due to the thickness of the double weave section made the plain weave sides wobbly. Wads of calico were stuffed into the space to try to 'balance' the thickness. It worked! and sustained the tension till the end....




This felt like a 2 step forward, 1 step back sort of weave as the top layer is pushed back to form the folds/scrunched up bits.

The bulldog clips were very helpful in holding the tension of the folds. I have also tried hair pins, paper clips etc, but in this case, these were perfect.








I have woven 2 pieces of cloth to be joined together to form a jacket/garment. That step is in the contemplation stage at the moment.


I will have to take some pictures of the other piece for the next post.




3 comments:

c u r i o u s w e a v e r said...

What a wonderful and mysterious weave in my favourite indigo colours. Welcome to the Blogosphere. Your blog looks fantastic.

Peg in South Carolina said...

I can't wait to see a photo of this fabric off the loom. And welcome to the Blosphere also!

Jane said...

welcome, welcome!

What a great piece you are working on. Doubleweave is one of my life's passions. It is so versatile and magical.

Love your solution with the bulldog clips. Brilliant!

Weave on!
Jane